Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Monday, November 07, 2005

The Who's-Its take on the World


On Saturday the Royal Military College held their 36th annual Team Fencing Tournament. I fenced with a mixed team (ie no club affiliation) that consisted of Ian, the always entertaining Ryan, and little ol' me. In order to confuse as many people as possible we called ourselves the Who's-Its. It was an excellent day with some good fencing and good fun. We finished a respectable 7th or 8th (I haven't seen the final results) out of 38 teams, the highest result I have seen in a while. I am looking forward to reconstituting the team in January for the Carleton Team Tournament where, hopefully, we will finally beat the Ottawa team (or avoid them altogether) and go for a medal.

Photo by (oh, and the "Photo by" photo is by, and that photo is by me, so I guess we now have our bases covered)
rgsc

8 Comments:

At 5:21:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

In this tournament we went against two teams in the pools and then three direct elimination matches. In each I fought each of the three members of the opposing team so I fenced a total of 15 bouts on the day. Of that we lost the first pool match and the third DE - which was the same team (although we did better the second time around, just not enough to beat them). The way the team matches works is that each member of a team fences each member of the opposite in bouts that go to incriments of 5 for a total of 45 points. Because of the format it is hard for me to say my win-loss record off the top of my head, although I know that I got trounced 4-1 in two bouts, but I did quite well in the rest getting 5 points or above for the most part- in two matches we where we were trailing I got 8 and 9 points in single bouts closing the gap considerably. In all 5 bouts I got 14 points or more, 15 being the 1/3 that I would hope to bring in. All in all I think I done good.
r

 
At 12:40:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

ahem....my photo credit, please

 
At 12:41:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

Carter can eh? So that's your slogan? I'd suggest adding a WIN to that jersy to make it more affective.

 
At 1:19:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Laura - I have added a credit. Happy?

Mark - I couldn't afford to add "kick your ass" at the bottom so the guy just stopped there.
Acutally, when I first got my name on my jacket that was pretty much the same reaction as my teammates, which led to the following scenario which plays out at tournaments and practice:
Them: "Who can?"
Me [pointing over my shoulders with thumbs, kinda like the Fonz]: "Carter Can!"

 
At 10:19:00 AM, Blogger selsine said...

Heh that is a nice photo of laura...

 
At 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Glad you liked it, Mark. And I have added another photo credit - sorry i missed it before (gotta try to give it where it is due)

jackass? yes, yes I am

 
At 2:53:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

Ahh that's a great shot of me!

The funny part is that I am doing an impression of you!

 
At 3:06:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

yeah, I have been waiting to post that somewhere for a while, sorta to give you a taste....figured now was as good as time as any....

now where did i put that photo of you in your tiny swimsuit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home