Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Monday, March 14, 2005

Should have listened to Kenny Rogers

Friday night Laura and I were invited to dinner and poker at the home of one of Laura's work friends. I have played a tiny bit of poker online (never for money), and spent the majority my highschool friday nights listening to the death metal show on the local campus radio station making stupid requests and playing 5 card stud for pennies that went back into the communal can at the end of the night, but this was the first time I had ever played for real money (a whole $5 buy in).

Thankfully, there were other novices/complete beginners at the table, along with some seasoned players. I played conservatively at first, waiting for decent hands before making any big plays and in a little while I was collecting a respectable pile o' chips in front of me. Then came my undoing.

I flopped a pair of 8s, nothing special at all, but had four spades - if one more came on 4th street or the river (check out the lingo, pretty impressive, eh?) I would almost certainly win. So I started betting, and raising, until it was down to me and one of the pros. I had about half of my chips in the pot when the last card was dealt - decidedly not a spade. I should have listened to , Kenny, cut my losses and went on playing. My adversary, who was the chip leader, bet enough to make me go all in. While my brain said, "get out you fool!" my mouth said, "I'll see you." Stupid mouth. Needless to say, my 8s didn't cut it and my game was pretty much done - after bailing her out two or three times, Laura gave me a few chips out of her meager pot to keep me in the game - but by that time I pretty much just felt like Bunny and wanted the hell out of there. We'll get 'em next time. At least I hope I keep that experience, and those wise words of wisdom from The Gambler, when I am faced with such a situation.

As a postscript - the next night we were singing karaoke at my dad's place and I sang what was undoubtedly the most rousing version of that song ever sung...my loss fresh in mind made it all the more poignant.
rgsc

2 Comments:

At 12:12:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

Nice post, your comment sections seem to work...

 
At 12:16:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

thanks..
yeah, and now yours is too.

silly blogger. always keeping us on our toes. Just when we want to throw the damn computer out the window *surprise* the post works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home