Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Rose City or "The Worst Place in Canada"

I made my first trip to Windsor last week, which coincided with Stephen Colbert stating that Windsor is "the worst place in Canada. Just...just God-awful. I don't even have time to go into it, but if you've been there, you know." While I perhaps didn't get the full Windsor experience, from what I saw it didn't seem much crappier than Trenton or Brantford so, you know, maybe Colbert should take a tour of the other many crapholes in our lovely nation before making such a definitive statement. But I am getting sidetracked. Ok, so I went to Windsor to interview a 96 year-old nun and to check out the archival doings there. It was a quick trip but a good one. In addition to getting to see the archives there and do the oral history thing, I got to hang out a bit with everyone’s favourite Windsorite, Christine. She took me our and showed me a bit of what the city had to offer. If I were to judge Windsor on what I saw I would come to the conclusion that it was quite a happening place - this belief, however, is undercut by the fact that pretty much everyone I met told me that it wasn't a typical night. Nevertheless, Christine showed me a pretty great time out on the town. First up was bar called The Avalon Front to see an exhibit of local photographers called "Fotografika." There was quite a diverse array of images on display around the bar varying from portraits and landscapes and still-lifes, documentary, 'art' photos, colour and b&w, traditional and digital. A typical mix bag that you might expect from a group show. Most were good, some were excellent. Of particular note were a series of large b&w photos of people in front of their houses, a series of images by Christine's friend Chris which had intense colour and a unique mounting, and a time-lapse video that was projected on a screen of urban views. For the opening there was a dj and a pretty good little local band called Theory of Everything. If that wasn't cool enough, we then skipped over to the Phog Lounge for the opening night of their second annual T-Shirt Art Show. This, my friends, is an awesome idea. Essentially the bar had people submit one-of-a-kind or limited run t-shirts with designs that were silk-screened, embroidered, handpainted, etc. They stay up for the month and are auctioned off to the highest bidder (with some that you could buy 'off the rack' for a set price). There were some very cool, and some very odd, shirts and the bar itself was excellent with a good vibe, good beer, and board games galore (a very intense game of Connect Four was happening behind me at one point). A good time was had. Thanks to Christine for showing me her hometown and introducing me to all her ubercool, artsy friends. I look forward to getting back down there soon.
rgsc

5 Comments:

At 9:26:00 AM, Blogger selsine said...

Ahh cool I was wondering how your trip went. Windsor's a great plcae I've been there a bunch of times and always had a lot of fun with Christine and her friends.

Maybe one of the writers from the COlbert reports is from Windsor?

 
At 9:52:00 AM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Yeah, the trip went very well. It seemed like a crazy long way to go for essentially only 2.5 days but the interview went well and I got the added bonus of hanging out with Christiney-Weeney. I figure it is like most places - even if the location itself doesn't have much charm if you are hanging out with cool people and having a good time I doesn't matter where you are.

The downside of the trip was I came down with a cold or something and have been feeling like crap since Friday. ack.

Colbert was talking about Detroit and was saying that it looks good in comparison to Windsor and showed a pic of sleezy bars and stuff. I didn't see it myself but all the Windsorites though it was hilarious.

 
At 12:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Through powers of the internet I happened to come across your blog. I'm from Windsor and am actually the photographer of the Bruce and Janette photo project you mentioned at the Avalon (people and their homes).

I'm glad you had a good time in Windsor. It does get a bad rap, but there are some good things going on too.

Actually, one of those things might be something you might be able to help out with. I'm putting together a project that would allow people to access stories of Windsor using their cell phone throughout the downtown area. Interested?

David

 
At 4:37:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Hey David - thanks for checking out my page here and leaving a comment. Those photos were excellent - sorry I couldn't mention you by name but I didn't take notes.

That certainly sounds interesting. Let me know how I can help out.
r

 
At 8:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would need someone to research interesting stories of Windsor's history to be linked to various sites throughout the downtown. I don't know exactly what an archivist does, but I imagine you would know your way around a library better than myself. And you seem to have a nice writing style. I also noticed you made the trip to Windsor to interview someone. I love that kind of stuff. That's why I did that photo project; there are so many great stories all around us, behind the doors of houses.

Still interested?

David

 

Post a Comment

<< Home