Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Iconoclasm

Today I participated in a little bit of iconoclasm. Don't worry, I have not been swept up in some Reformation-type fervour. I had to vacate a room in the archives and we are using this as an opportunity to deaccession a lot of stuff that we not longer need or should never have kept in the first place. This Sacred Heart statue was unremarkable, in less than ideal condition, and there really is no one who wants this sort of thing . So instead of hanging on to it, I was given permission to remove it from the archives. And what is the proper way of performing this task? Destruction. While smashing things can be fun, and I had no attachment to the statue, I still felt a twinge of guilt when I took the hammer to it. I suppose it is the art historian in me. Or the remnants of a Catholic school education.

I figured I might try something new (well, new for me) and I recorded the process. If everything works here is me destroying the statue, courtesy of youtube:


Just another day in the archives.

rgsc
PS - woo-hoo this is my 100th post. Took me long enough, eh.

5 Comments:

At 12:47:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

is that your wallet in your pocket, or are you just happy to see jesus?

heh.

that is a bit weird though, smashing a religious statue into little pieces. what do you do with the remains? just put them in the garbage?

 
At 1:11:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Me and my 'George Costanza Wallet' always happy to see Jesus.

It is rather weird - I was instructed to smash and then put it in the dumpster. I am not sure if this is the "proper" way to do things but that is was the superior said to do so that is what i did.

I know in Nfld where a ton of convents, monestaries, churches etc have closed down they have shelves and shelves of religious statuary. Just sitting there.

 
At 12:48:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

Hah! Great wallet reference! Really that sucker has got to be trimmed down, if your wallet ever gets in the way of your golf swing you know there's a problem!

It's also a weird video seeing you destroy that stature with a hammer, but I guess what else are you going to do?

 
At 4:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you hadn't destroyed that statue. Our yard is looking a little lack lustre. Any more statues kicking around?

Danielle

 
At 4:33:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Looking to build a shrine in your back yard? I am sure I can hook you up. There are plenty more statues where that came from

 

Post a Comment

<< Home