Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Friday, March 18, 2005

A Post-St. Patrick Day, uh....Post

Another St. Patrick Day has come and gone and I must say it was a pretty good one. The day started a little slowly - work kinda screwed up the works, you know, so I it was well into the evening before my first drink. That came at a restaurant and while the first beer came normal, the second one was green. There is just something inherently wrong with green beer. Sure, it doesn't taste any different but it just ain't right. Nevertheless I quickly overcame my aversion and the green beer disappeared quickly enough.

After dinner it was off to the Tir Nan Og, the Irish Pub in Kingston, to meet with friends. Now, I figured it would be busy, but at 7:30 how busy could it be? Well, let me tell you, it was so busy that they had a heated tent in the street with kegs, food, and a waiting list (at least they were prepared with the tent and all, but holy crap). I was lucky number 387. They let people in as others left the bar and after 15 minutes there or so they called out the first number -- 205. Shee-it, I thought to myself. I only briefly talked to the people who were supposed to be inside on their cell phone so I really didn't get any details. So I stood there by myself waiting by myself, hoping that someone I knew came outside to see if I was there, not knowing if anyone was even still inside.

Thankfully, Ian popped his Guinness-hat-wearing head round the entrance and he came and waited with my, although it meant that he wouldn't be able to get in until my number was called. While they didn't call any numbers for quite a while, Ian and I had a good time talking to other folks stranded in the Tent O' Despair and he never missed an opportunity to harass the waitress with the megaphone who was announcing the numbers trying to talk his way in early. At about 9 we got in - about 50 numbers earlier than we should have -- they let a bunch of us go in out of turn much to our great delight.

Let me tell you, the wait was well worth it. It wasn't crazy-busy inside, but it was hopping. Lots o' good people; lots o' Guinness; lots o' great foot-stomping, make-you want to jig music. The band they had, The Crofters were absolutely fan-damn-tastic. They went on at noon and were going to close the place - a 14 hour set (with breaks). And they never stopped given'er the whole night. They have to be the hardest working band I have ever seen.

Since I needed to be at work today I left a little after midnight and stumbled home. Good times had by all, me thinks.
rgsc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home