Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Inciting insurrection amongst the rabbits

I didn't even have the change to add it to my "Currently reading" list on the sidebar, but I have finished Turbulent Priests by Colin Bateman. This is the third book starring the intrepid, smart-mouthed, alcoholic, journalist and "international man of inaction" Dan Starkey. I picked the book up off my shelf quickly, not knowing that this is the third book (the first being "Divorcing Jack," which as you can see from the side I am currently reading, but I saw the movie ages ago - which I enjoyed) but the novel certainly stands on its own, although now that I know I imagine there are some references to the earlier novels that would have made some of the relationships a touch clearer.

This book follows Dan to the small Northern Irish island community of Wrathlin (aka Rathlin) where he is investigating reports that the Messiah has been born in the form of a girl named Christine. Naturally, hilarity ensues, but it is a dark humour of the fiercest kind. Bateman is exceptionally witty and frequently busts out some great wordplay; the comedy undercuts the harsh realities of the story without undermining it.

If you are looking for a funny, addictive, quick read - perfect for buses/planes/subways/those days when you don't feel like thinking too hard about anything - I would recommend this book or probably anything else by Bateman (I have also read "The Cycle of Violence", excellent as well, although NOT part of the Dan Starkey series as a number of sites have listed). Oh, and be sure to ignore the blurb on the back of "Turbulent Priests": it makes it sound pretty lame (at least the Harper Collins paperback that I have) and just trust that it is much, much better than the blurb (and this little review, I am sure) make it out to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home