Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Up to my ears in Indie music Pt. 1

I am breaking this post into three parts, posted in reverse order so they would show up in the right order on the page. Please bear with me and ramblings.

**********************************************************

I was unleashed in not one but two record stores today. Needless to say my desire to acquire the best of Canadian Indie rock was overwhelming and I walked out with six of the most ass-kicking records this side of the 49th. I didn't really intend to open my wallet so freely, but you know how these things happen; I am a sucker for a bargain.

It started off at Sunrise where I had to exchange (no returns) a karaoke album I got for my dad for his birthday as he had most of the songs. Sunrise doesn't exactly have an inspiring karaoke selection so I traded in for my own pleasure. Then onto Futureshop for some great, great deals.

First of all, I picked up Metric's ultra-cool "Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?" I have been loving this band since hearing their single "Dead Disco" and over the last little while I downloaded the entire album. While I am a fan of free access to tracks, I also feel strongly that for bands you like, especially indie-Canuk bands, it is vital to go out and support them so that is just what I did. For those of you not familiar with Metric, they can be best described as Succexy. Its catchy 80s influenced, pop with great lyrics, sultry vocals by Emily Haines, who is popping up all over the place as of late, and hook-filled synthesizer lines. My description does not do justice to its greatness.

Next came "Set Yourself on Fire" by Stars. I am not as familiar with this band out of Montreal, but they have been getting a crapload of media attention as of late and what I have heard is outstanding. It is a very lush sound, with complex instrumentation and dual vocals provided by Torquil Cambell and Amy Millan, It is a self-described "sex and death and robots record." A very intense album that is very smart.

These two bands are quite close (James Shaw of Metric played guitar and help produce the Stars' record) and both have close ties to one of the biggest and most celebrated Canadian indie bands: Broken Social Scene.

2 Comments:

At 9:44:00 AM, Blogger selsine said...

Ow yeah Rod, I was going to say, if possible you should bring your Cd's to town this weekend. That way I can give them a listen. We'll throw The Smiths and Joy Division on after.

 
At 9:54:00 AM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Indeed I shall. I think you will enjoy some/most of them.

They had a Smiths singles album at Future shop that I fondled for a moment before putting it down. I told myself 'Let's not get crazy here'.

Also I am curious to take a listen to the Bright Eyes albums. I have heard a number of songs on the radio which I thought "hey, this is pretty good. wonder who it is," and then the dj saying it was Bright Eyes, to which I thought "hunh, there you go." I am pretty sure they have been mostly from the folkier (?if that is is way to describe it) album and not the electronica-y (??) one.

Much rawking out shall occur it Toronto.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home