Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Up to my ears in Indie music Pt.3

Second in this set is "Day One" by Sarah Slean. I must say I was a bit apprehensive about this record. I have had her independent release "Blue Parade" for ages. While I enjoyed it, the lyrics are, in my opinion, very low and indistinct and as a result you can't much sense of them. I passed over her first major release "Night Bugs" although I have heard a number of songs on it and thought they were very good and heard many people say good things about it. Anyway, after hearing a bunch of songs off this album on the radio and seeing it for a steal I decided to go ahead and get it. I have not been disappointed, so far. It is much more polished (as might be expected) than Blue Parade. It has the same sensibility at its heart, but is, at times more jazzy, upbeat and (dare I say) commercial. That is not a bad thing in this case as it is turning out to be an exceptionally enjoyable record.

Finally, 'cause everyone needs a little funk in their life, I picked up "Joyful Rebellion" by k-os. Since about 1992, my hip-hop collection has seen a distinct drop (I can probably count the number of rap/hip-hop/r&b albums I own on two hands, if not one) but having heard so many good things about this record and being exposed to quite a few songs and an interview or two on CFRC (and again, because the price was right) I thought I should go out and get this album. So far it has lived up to expectations. Intelligent rhymes, musically excellent with diverse sounds being weaved together, it is an all-round solid recording. And I defy you not to bounce and strut and clap your hands when "Crabbuckit" comes on - I defy you! you can't resist!

That's it. Gonna go rock out for a while.
rgsc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home