Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Steichen's 'Pond-Moonlight' sells for $2.9 Million


[photo and facts from the BBC]

A new auction record was set for the sale of a photograph on Tuesday when Edward Steichen's The Pond - Moonlight was sold for a whopping $2.9 Million USD at Sothebys. The photograph was taken in Long Island, New York, in 1904 and was one of the first experiments in colour photography in American (the autochrome process used was developed in France in 1903). It is only one of three prints in existence.

That's it. I've been rather neglecting this blog so I thougth I would share a purdy picture.
rgsc

2 Comments:

At 3:22:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

Hmm reminds me about the Russian dude who worked for the Tsar and went around russian in the early 1900's documenting the realm in colour photos.

The thing was there was not colour film in russia at the time or something, so he used the technique where he took the same picture multiple times with different colour filters and then used the results for the pic.

I was going to blog about it a few weeks/months ago but I got lazy and forgot.

 
At 5:38:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

oh yeah, I posted about it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home