Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Booker Books

Eugène Atget, Secondhand Book Dealer, place de la Bastille, (1910-1911) from The Getty.

The Man Booker longlist has been announced highlighting, as always, how terribly un(der)read I am. As a lover of literary awards I will most likely follow this one as usual. Hey, I might even pick up on or two of the nineteen longlisted (this one and this one look particularly interesting). A few names are familiar including Peter Carey (I've even read a few of his books! Yay me!) and Nadine Gordiner (I think we have one of her's on our shelves somewhere). From what I can see there is one Canadian on the list- Mary Lawson, for The Other Side of the Bridge, who is from Sarnia but based in London (the good one, you know, in Britain, not London, Ont.) The last word in literary criticism, the bookies, have pegged David Mitchell's Black Swan Green as the favourite to win.

For more see The Guardian and the Times. Short list is annouced Sept. 14th.

1 Comments:

At 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Tuco said...

Black Swan Green eh? Hmmm. I really liked Number9Dream by Mitchell, didn't like Ghostwritten, and was fairly "pro" (but not in love with) Cloud Atlas. For some reason though I've had no desire to read Black Swan Green.

Thanks for checking my blog, Rod. I have a post about that Queen's Quay thing, it's on the homepage there somewhere. In truth, I thought the bike sculpture was ugly, and the benefit of the bike lane on that street negligible, but oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home