Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Better than “Well, at least it didn’t suck”


or: How I stopped worrying and learned to love the Wookiee [now that would be some “strange love”]

Last night I saw Star Wars III after quite a bit of anticipation. Since hearing about the prequels ages ago, getting really excited and then experiencing the gut-wrenching horribleness (yes, apparently that is a word) of the first two piles of crap Lucas foisted on his adoring fans (Damn you Jar Jar!) I went in with more than a little loathing, some fear, and a big bushel of cynicism.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Other than the fact that Hayden Christensen couldn’t act his way out from under a soggy Kleenex (he wasn’t that bad as long as he didn’t have to deliver any of the choice lines dreamt up by George, still pretty bad, though) it addressed some of the criticisms I had of the earlier prequels (like, other than the fact that we now have CG to do the special effects, why is the technology of the spacecrafts etc. so much more sleeker and sophisticated in Episode I than in Episode IV – here, by the end, everything gets chunkier), Jar Jar had no lines and only made two or three brief appearances, there was an army of Wookiees, it was pretty damn dark (one of the things that made my like Empire Strikes Back so much), and it really tied into A New Hope well.

So all and all I was pleased. Mostly I had heard that it was alright, not as terrible as the first two, etc. but I think it deserves a little more credit than that. I went in ready to hate it and was duly impressed. Could it stand on its own? Not likely. Lucas should be well pleased that he got a chance to make Episode IV before I-III, ‘cause it isn’t that likely that he would have made it to the rest.

I do have my criticisms, though, and not just with the acting/script. My biggest thing is with continuity and logic – like the sleekspaceships to clunky spaceships mentioned above. Two shall suffice.
-Why is R2D2 much more gadget-y now then later? Those rocket boosters and oil spurts and multi-directional shock thingies sure could have come in handy in the later episodes.
-And, this drove me bonkers: Why the hell isn’t the droid army absolutely kicking the ass of the clone army, a la the Terminator series. If I were building a freaking droid army I am pretty sure I would programme it to be able to kick the ass of humans. Seriously. Think about it for a second (or perhaps I have thought enough about it for the both of us), I can understand that humans have the advantage of rational thought (although the Brave New World-like training of the clones maybe would put a damper on that), and that the Jedi’s abilities would give them the upper-hand, but come-on, if you can build something as intelligent as R2D2, can’t you build a battle droid that could hit something as big as a Wookiee? If it were my droid army it sure as hell would not lose a single freakin’ battle. Especially since the things were programmed to communicate in English and have mildly amusing things to squeal when they get crushed or something. Less time on vocabulary more time on aiming. That would be my motto.

I guess 4 out of 6 in a series isn’t too bad. I just wish Lucas hadn’t screwed up the first ones so bad. Here’s another motto for you Lucas – Less time on eye-popping graphics and more time on story. Or as Laura said last night, couldn’t he just have hired someone with talent to write the script?
___________________________
In other news, I am back in Kingston after two weeks in Vermont. Work was fine. The countryside was beautiful. Had a great trip to New York. I have a post already but I want to add some photos I took and I keep forgetting the camera at home. So hold onto your hats (‘cause I know all three of my loyal readers are forever coming back to see if I have updated) I should have it up before the end of the week.
rgsc

6 Comments:

At 1:23:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

Well hello Rododney, I too have see The latest installment of Star Wars and my review was not as positive as yours. However I am glad that he ended the prequals on a definate upswing. I figure that if this movie wasn't attached to the franchise then everyone would have said that it sucked, but since it is, and it came after two real crappy movies, people are confusing it's (as your put it) not sucking with actually being good.

One thing that bugged me that I was surprised at was the fact that Jar Jar didn't speak. Granted he is annoying and all that, but he was a major character in Episode I and I think that Lucas succumed to the overwhelming majority who hate Jar Jar by not having him speak in this episode. It just felt weird to have this major character purposfully be in a few shots but never actually say anything.

 
At 2:15:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Perhaps the removal of Jar Jar from prominence in the last two movies falls into the same arena as revisionist history. Lucas made a colossal error with the way he made JJ into a racial stereotype dressed up as an alien and after realizing the enormity of his mistake attempted to do right rather than perpetuate the portrayal. I don't know if he could have toned it down with out him being false to the original character (ie essentially making him an altogether different character) and he couldn't just ignore him since JJ was such a large presence in Ep.I. If I were Lucas, my solution would be to have JJ assassinated/killed in battle and the planet destroyed by some pre-deathstar so there would be no more of his race. Of course 1) I would not have gotten myself into such a mess in the first place and, 2) I am not Lucas... Anyway, that way he wouldn't have been ignored and he might have been able to advance a plot. Just my two cents.

Just to be clear about my review. I didn't think it was great and I concur that it probably couldn't have stood on its own but I did see a huge improvement from the first two and I thought it was pretty good all-round,especially the ending/lead up to Ep. IV.

 
At 4:00:00 PM, Blogger selsine said...

I agree, the lead up to episode V was by far the best part of the movie. It was neat to see how all the peices came together.

What I thought was funny was the first time you see Darth Vaders suit I was like "Wow, I never noticed those cheesy looking green and red switched that he has on the front of his suit..." Which is very similar to your point about the ships getting crapier and crapier as time goes on.

 
At 8:15:00 AM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

I had noticed the switches before - mostly I always wondered what the hell were they for. All they seemed to do was blink and he never touched them onscreen. I always kinda hoped that there would be a secret "Disco Darth" button that would unleash funky beats, big collars, an afro and effect Vader's mechanical bits like one of those dancing flowers and have him jerking around to the beat. That would be pretty cool.

I have thought a bit more about mute JarJar in the latest chapter - it actually makes sense, or it was at least not necessary for him to open his mouth. In the first film he was a guide, the second a Senator. In this, very little action took place on his planet and he wasn't a military leader. Unlike the second film which so much took place in the senate chamber, where JJ had a great many lines as he took a key role in motioning for Palpatine to be given emergency powers, this one only had a few brief senate scenes and the floor was pretty much given over to Palpatine. Because of the political position given to him, Lucas was essential able to write JJ out. JJ was there, he just didn't have a role to fill in this more battle oriented/jedi-turning-to-the- darkside story arc.

 
At 2:46:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

FYI: very well thought-out, funny, essentially literary review of the movie by a fan is found at:
Tomato Nation
[follow links to an Attack of the Clones review and an homage to Vader]

Very good criticism of why this movie was not so hot (well, pretty terrible in her view) and at which points it went wrong.

I think this description of Darth (old version)from the column is great:

"This is why I loved Darth Vader as a kid: he is one hundred percent tragic-opera yippee-ky-ay-motherfucker stone-cold spaghetti-Western-black-hat who's-your-daddy this-is-how-we-do-it-on-the-Death-Star-bitch we-who-are-about-to-die-salute-you capital-B bad-ass."

 
At 11:03:00 AM, Blogger selsine said...

Hah, that was a really good read, I like a lot of what she said. I thought that she was a bit hard upon the "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." line which I thought was pretty good.

I also liked the way that she gave lucs some props about what he is good at rather then just crapping all over him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home