Out of the Archives

and into the streets

Friday, March 24, 2006

Even creepier than Jeff from "Today's Special"

I have this mannequin in my archives. It was donated for a planned nursing alumnae gallery and was greatly appreciated because these things apparently cost a great big chunk of change. I never saw it out of the box and I have the distinct feeling that no one else did either. I put it together today for the first time and this is what I got.

First, the legs were in a rather jaunty pose, but i figured that this was in a store so was to be expected. Then I get the torso on, no problem. Next come the arms. Wait a second, I say to myself, this is just not right. As you see the arms and hands are in a rather odd position. And this is the only position they will go in (ok, i can turn the hands around in the other direction but it is no better).

What on earth would a store use this mannequin for? The attention is on the hands - would it be to sell watches? Is it supposed to be leaning against something? It looks like she is about to get hit in the face and is shielding herself with her hands.

How the hell am I supposed to use this thing? I think, and perhaps you will agree, that it would look a touch out of place with a nurses uniform on or, worse yet, a nun's habit (that is my next step - figuring out how to get a habit on this thing. more pics may follow). The only thing i thought was maybe we could get another mannequin and have this one doing CPR on it - you know pushing down on the other one's chest with its hands but that would mean its feet would have to be hung from the ceiling or something. Plainly, this won't due.

Now it is staring at me from across my office. I think I may have to turn it around or disassemble it or something 'cause it is kinda creepy.

Do you remember Today's Special? I loved that show.

r

5 Comments:

At 10:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are great Rod. Your retelling of your mannequin encounter made me laugh so hard! I love it! :D

 
At 10:50:00 AM, Blogger selsine said...

Man, Today's Special was like the worst show in history! I cannot believe that you liked that show, it didn't even make sense...

Actually once a friend of mine brought a mannequin to a festival rock weekend. She was wearing a bathing suit and drunk frat boys spent the whole weekend comming to our site and wanting to take pictures of themselves with the lady in various erotic positions.

It was the strangest thing...

 
At 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

Thanks Claire - I'm glad you got a chuckle, 'cause this thing is still freaking me out. Everytime I open my office door I am startled. Today I put some clothes on it so it is less creepy.

And Mark: Shut your face! I will not have you slander Today's Special on my site. Actually I really don't remember much about it other than the fact I used to watch it as a kid with my dad. It probably was horrible.

That certainly does seem strange. A guy I went to highschool with, an "artiste" brought a mannequin to prom as his date. He sent out press releases and stuff and got in the Toronto Star. Which is kinda weird.

 
At 12:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I can't stop laughing...the image of this mannequin in Rod's office is just priceless! Out of everyone that we hang around with from grad school it just had to be Rod that ended up with a weird mannequin in his possession! Why am I not surprised?? Ah, Rod you are great!

Mark, don't be knocking Today's Special...that was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I loved that little mouse that was on the show and was fascinated with how well her mousehole was decorated. I wanted to live in that mousehole!

Also, what is up with men using mannequins as dates to proms and concerts?? Can't they get a real person to go with them?? And Mark, are there any pics of you with this lady out there? ;)

 
At 1:28:00 PM, Blogger Rgscarter said...

That's right Claire - Muffy the Mouse ruled!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home